Shrines can be found randomly throughout the stages of the game, and they offer rewards in return for various offerings. A level may have more than one shrine but will never spawn two of the same shrine.
Destroying a shrine will cause a message to appear and a special effect to happen. Every shrine has exactly 150HP. The Faithless Heathen background grants bonus damage against shrines and bonus stats upon destroying them.
- Offer: 33 HP
- Rewards: One of two permanent stat bonuses, which can stack.
- +1 STR. "Show me your strength."
- +1 DEX. "Show me your skill."
- Alternate offer: a Fairy
- +1 STR
- +1 DEX
- +1 INT
- +1 LCK
- The player will not lose HP by sacrificing the fairy.
- Cannot be used with 1 HP remaining.
- Using the shrine will kill you if you are using the "Death's Acolyte" background or have "Death becomes easier to encounter" armor equipped.
- In any other circumstances, using the shrine will not kill the player and will instead leave the player with 1 HP.
- Using the shrine with less than 33 HP will leave the player at 1 HP and will not grant the player any rewards. However, it is possible to sacrifice 33 HP in multiple goes but it is advised to not do so since the bloody won't just take the amount of HP needed to reach 33 but also any surplus HP. Example: The player has 32 HP and activates the shrine. 31 HP is lost and no reward is received. The player heals back to 31 HP and uses the shrine again. 30 HP is lost and obtains a single stat boost despite sacrificing nearly enough HP to receive two.
- When destroyed: Every entity in the stage takes damage equal to 50% of their remaining HP. This will kill a player at 1 HP.
- Offer: 1 of any item, including bomb arrows. Alternatively, 50 regular arrows
- Random item, including artifacts
- A burst of water (may have minnows)
- Destroying nearby ground as per Wand of Digging, in 3-4 different directions
- Digging a hole straight beneath the player (may make level completion impossible)
- Random teleportation
- 3-5 random instantaneous teleportations within moments of each other
- 3 bombs that will explode after a few seconds
- 5 bombs that will explode after a few seconds
- A random status effect, such as:
- Random potion buffs, including Regeneration and Poison
- Berserk status (random duration)
- Freezing the player
- Setting the player on fire for 10 damage
- Magic potion buff, accompanied by a burst of Magic Missiles fired from the player in all directions (concentration varies)
- Stunning and throwing the player a short distance in a random direction, inflicting a small amount of damage if the player hits a wall (similar to the Goblin King's grab attack)
- 1-6 Scrolls of Chaos (rare), preceded by "Spread my word!"
- A friendly baby dragon
- Offering a Chaos Wand followed by any kind of dagger rewards you with the Blink Dagger.
- When destroyed: A few of the aforementioned effects occur. Can be both positive and negative.
- Offer: 20 Gold.
- Rewards: Healing, presumably 1-24 HP (appears to require a first offering before any healing will be received).
- When destroyed: Drops 30 gold + all gold previously used on it, even on past levels. The shrine then bars the player from receiving future rewards until all gold dropped by it is returned via offering. Decreases sight radius (may have been removed). If a player is wearing armor with the "coins seem to heal injuries" attribute, destroying the Light shrine may grant more healing than directly using the shrine, in addition to the gold gained.
- Offer: Cursed Equipment (Weapons or Armor)
- Rewards: The piece of equipment becomes god-cursed and gains additional stats. A god-cursed item cannot be removed with a Scroll of Uncurse.
- Offering 3 Scrolls of Uncurse to this shrine rewards you with a cursed Adherent's Ring of the Shackled, which starts with no stats but gives you STR and DEX based on how many cursed/god-cursed items you are wearing. The ring can be god-cursed to receive some stats. The ring will never be granted if the shrine was destroyed previously.
- You can save your scrolls of Identify by simply offering items that have not been identified, and seeing if the shrine takes them. If the shrine does not take the item, then the item is not cursed, and you can equip it to see what your non-cursed item does.
- When destroyed: Drops a Scroll of Uncurse and curses all equipment in the player's inventory or lying on the ground, as well as the equipment available in the shop. Does not curse items in Chests.
- Offer: 2 spell books or 6 scrolls (offering one spell book and 3 scrolls also works).
- Rewards: 1 random spell book of any rank. Guaranteed to not drop the same spell book as those sacrificed.
- When destroyed: Drops a random spell book, will no longer drop any books.
- Destroying the scholar may heavily impact your run since there is no way to make it forgive you.
- Has a chance to reward the player with an Enchant scroll when making offerings. (seems to scale on luck)
- Offer: 1-5 pieces of Equipment.
- Rewards: 1 random piece of equipment.
- After offering five different blunt weapons, the Smith will reward you with the Thunder God's hammer. The gift is preceded by "Behold!" as opposed to the usual "I will grant you this gift".
- Valid blunt weapons are: Wooden Club, Hammer, Flanged Mace, War Hammer, Morning Star, and Bludgeon.
- The flail and spear-headed baton are currently not valid weapons to count towards the Thunder God's hammer, even though they are blunt weapons.
- When destroyed: Dozens of arrows are shot, surrounding every player on the level (a good source of arrows if you're not concerned about health).
|Adventurers||Knight • Rogue • Mage • Wildling • Houndmaster|
|Items||Equipment • Weapons • Armor • Spells|
|Areas||Dark Caves • Forest • Catacombs • Rift|
|Side Areas||Ruins • Forest Temple • Tower • Factory|
|World||Monsters • Bosses • Shops • Chests • Shrines • Hard Mode|